You might think I’m weird but I absolutely love shopping with my little boy. He’s almost 2.5 and he makes the best shopping buddy. Do you want to know our secret though? I work around HIS schedule and we have a routine.
The best time for us is usually right after breakfast so he’s well fed, well-rested, and I make sure we leave right after he’s gone potty so I don’t have to worry about accidents. A happy toddler = happy mommy and vice versa!
When I do my huge one-a-month shopping trip I make sure we have about 2 hours of time. Does it always take that long? No! Rarely ever does it take that long. But if I don’t feel rushed then we can take time to have fun at the store. Plus we like to talk about everything. We take turns pointing out things we see and his favorite question is “What’s that?” so shopping turns into a learning experience too!
Like most of you know, I always do this huge shopping trip at Walmart and we have a routine we follow. Kids LOVE routines. They love knowing what’s going to happen next!
Here’s what we do:
- When we arrive, we immediately get a cup of water from McDonald’s
- Then we work our way up the food aisles getting our items
- We save the produce section for last because it’s always right by the bakery where he knows if he’s been good and happy we will stop by and get a cookie. (PS they let mommies get a cookie too 🙂 )
- If we have personal items we need to get, we head over to the other side of the store for stuff like shaving needs, etc.
- At the end we always go see the fishies in the tanks … not all Walmart’s have these 😦
- During checkout I let him help me load the groceries to the belt
Almost every time it’s been a good, fun experience for us and we both look forward to it each month! He’s even memorized some of the usual things we get and helps remind me! Shopping with toddlers doesn’t have to be stressful. It’s usually a choice we make. So take a deep breath, relax a little, take lots of time, and enjoy the time you get to spend with your little ones because heaven knows that time goes by way too fast.