This recipe is a favorite. It’s a little time intensive but it is SO good. Fresh fruit makes a perfect side for this.
Ham and Cheese Soufflé Roll
Better Homes and Gardens 15th Edition Cook Book
Prep: 50 min, Bake: 65 min, Chill: 2-24 hours, Serves: 8-10 slices
4 Tbs butter (this is for the actual recipe. Use additional butter for greasing pan)
1/2 C flour
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 C milk
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 oz thinly sliced ham (go to the deli counter and ask for thin slices)
6 oz thinly sliced Swiss or provolone cheese (or use 3 oz of each the combo is delicious)
*Heavy Duty foil or parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil (a large rimmed baking sheet) extend foil about 1 inch over edges of pan. Grease well with butter and lightly flour the foil.
2. In a medium saucepan melt 4 Tbs butter. Stir in flour and pepper. Gradually and slowly stir in milk while whisking to remove lumps. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly; cool slightly. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl; gradually stir in milk mixture. In a large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight.) Fold some of the beaten egg whites inot the egg white mixture. Fold egg yolk mixture into the remaining beaten egg whites. Spread in the prepared baking pan.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until souffle is puffed and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Meanwhile, place a long sheet of heavy foil (about 22×18 inches) on a large baking sheet. Generously grease the foil. After baking soufflé immediately loosen edges of soufflé from baking pan. Invert soufflé onto the foil-lined baking sheet. Carefully peel off foil.
5. Place ham and cheese slices in single layers on top of soufflé. Starting from a short side, use foil on baking sheet to lift and help roll up soufflé. Don’t roll the foil inside. use the foil to lift soufflé roll onto another flat baking sheet. Cover soufflé with foil and chill for 2-24 hours.
6. Before serving, preheat oven to 350. Bake soufflé roll, covered with the foil, about 45 minutes or until heated through. To serve, uncover and transfer soufflé roll to a warm serving platter (a giant spatula works well, you can sort of slide the whole roll while helping it with the spatula).