Makes about 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon granules (if you are vegetarian you can add in vegetable bouillon)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Milk
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if you desire
- 1 1/2 TBS dried parsley
- 1 cup Rotini pasta, optional
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until it starts wafting smoke.
2. Add in carrots, celery, onion and tomato paste.
3. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
4. Stir the flour into the vegetables (it will be pasty).
5. Add in basil, oregano, tomatoes, water, bouillon, honey and salt. Stir a bit and cover.
6. Cook for about 4-6 hours on LOW.
7. Remove lid and stir in milk that has been warmed, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente over the stove. Add the cooked pasta into the slow cooker.
8. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with additional Parmesan.
Want to find this recipe plus more amazing slow cooker recipes? Check out 365 Days of Crockpot!