- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced or ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1-1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- dash cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Taco Shells
- Topping Ideas: shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, etc
- Heat 1/4 cup water in a large skillet. Saute onion for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. If the pan starts to dry up and the contents start sticking, add a tablespoon or two more of water.
- Add in the lentils, carrots, celery, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, bay leaf, and cayenne, and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture starts drying out, add 1/4 cup water or broth.
- Remove from heat and carefully drain off any extra liquid (a little bit of liquid is ok). Remove bay leaf and stir in tomato paste and lime juice. Transfer to food processor or blender and pulse a few times, until a crumbly texture is achieved–don’t puree!
- Makes 12 Tacos
Original recipe found here.