- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup vegetable juice
- 1 TBS dried basil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBS milk
- Optional: Cooked pasta (8-10 oz) orzo or broken spaghetti
- Optional: Cooked, crumbled ground beef, ground turkey, or italian sausage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute until garlic is gragrant.
- Add onion powder, dried basil, un-drained tomatoes, broth and juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or put it in the blender!), blend the mixture until the soup has reached your desired consistency.
- Add milk and any optional ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
Original recipe comes from the new Our Best Bites Savoring the Seasons cook book!
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 12 pieces of bread (for 6 sandwiches)
- 6 slices of cheese
- Preheat a griddle.
- Butter BOTH sides of the bread (yum!) then place 6 pieces on the griddle.
- Layer each with a slice of cheese and top with another slice of bread.
- Cook on one side until the bottom bread is nice and toasted and the cheese has started to melt.
- Flip and cook on the other side until it is nice and golden brown.