This is an absolutely delicious meal. So full of flavor! BUT it takes alot of work SO be prepared. I wish I could tell you how long it takes to make but I usually have 2 children hanging onto my pants when I cook needing attention so it usually takes me longer than what it might take someone else.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 TBS butter (if needed)
- 1 TBS olive oil (if needed)
- 1 cup white rice (DON’T OVER COOK!)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 12 oz (about 4 cups) broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10-oz) cans mild Rotel (Don’t use the walmart brand. Even the mild is TOO spicy for this meal!)
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add the diced bacon to a very large skillet and turn heat to medium high.
- Cook the bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- When the bacon is crisp, remove to a plate leaving the drippings in the pan.
- If needed to grease the bottom of the pan, add butter and olive oil to the skillet.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for five minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon.
- Add the rice, water, and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. When done, remove from heat.
- While the rice is cooking, add the broccoli and onion powder to the skillet where you cooked the bacon and chicken. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Top with tomatoes, rice, chicken and bacon and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour until just combined. Add in the chicken broth and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add in cheese and salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted, then pour in the skillet with the chicken and rice. Stir to combine and serve.
Makes 5 servings.
This recipe is slightly adapted. Find the original recipe here