Although this recipe is a slow cooker recipe, it only takes 4 hours from start to finish. So if you normally eat at 6:00 you’ll need to start it at 2:00.
- 12 oz potatoes, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Two 14.5- oz cans chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- One 12- oz can evaporated fat-free milk (1½ cups)
- ½ cup ham, diced
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (1- oz)
- In the insert of a slow cooker, combine potatoes and onion powder. Pour broth over vegetables. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch, thyme and pepper. Whisk in evaporated milk. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture, ham and carrots into the hot soup. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more, stirring the soup occasionally.
- Serve the soup topped with broccoli and cheese.